Updated: February 9, 2023
Within this page, we detail the reasons why we ask you for information, what we do to keep your information secure, and how we use your information.
Who We Are
GeoHistory.Today is run as a free service of SRAS. SRAS is a study abroad organization that also promotes the understanding of languages, cultures, and societies. GeoHistory.Today provides information and resources written by SRAS staff and students to further this mission.
How You Can Contact Us
What Data We Collect and Why
- If you upload images to the website, you should avoid uploading images with embedded location data (EXIF GPS) included. Visitors to the website can download and extract any location data from images on the website.
Embedded content from other websites
- Articles on this site may include embedded content (e.g. videos, images, articles, etc.). Embedded content from other websites behaves in the exact same way as if the visitor has visited the other website.
Who we share your data with
- We may share information with universities and government organizations if those institutions require such information to provide services you have requested from us or as otherwise required by law.
- We will never share or sell information to any third party, excepting general statistics such as the number of subscribers to our newsletter or how many people visit our site, and as part of a transfer of information to a third party who acquires any or all of SRAS’s assets, whether such acquisition is by merger, consolidation, or purchase of all or a substantial portion of SRAS assets. In addition, in the event SRAS becomes the subject of an insolvency proceeding, whether voluntary or involuntary, SRAS or its liquidator, administrator, receiver or administrative receiver may dispose of such information in a transaction approved by the court.
- We store all information on secure servers located inside the U.S. and the U.K.
- We process information on servers located inside the U.S. and in other countries.
How long we retain your data
- If you leave a comment, the comment and its metadata are retained indefinitely. This is so we can recognize and approve any follow-up comments automatically instead of holding them in a moderation queue.
- For users that register on our website (if any), we also store the personal information they provide in their user profile. All users can see, edit, or delete their personal information at any time (except they cannot change their username). Website administrators can also see and edit that information.
What rights you have over your data
- We make good faith efforts to provide you access to your personal information upon request and to let you correct such data if it is inaccurate and delete it if you desire, whenever reasonably possible.